Frequently Asked Questions
How much should I feed my pet?
Just as eating amounts vary from person to person, eating amounts vary from pet to pet. Most Hill's® pet foods have a feeding guide on the package to help you determine the proper amount to feed your pet. However, the feeding guide is intended only as a starting point. It's critical to your pet's health that his or her physical condition be monitored regularly and the feeding amount adjusted as needed. To access the suggested feeding guide for Hill's®brand pet food that you feed your pet, refer to our product selector.
What is the difference between Prescription Diet® and Science Diet® brand pet foods?
Prescription Diet® brand pet foods are formulated to address specific medical conditions that can develop in pets. Prescription Diet foods are available through your pet's veterinarian, or through authorized online retailers. If you have a pet with a medical condition, please speak to your veterinarian to see if a Prescription Diet pet food is right for your dog or cat. Prescription Diet is clinical nutrition to improve quality of life™.
Science Diet® brand pet foods are formulated to meet the needs of healthy pets during various life stages. Science Diet healthy pet food offers clinically proven benefits that promote vitality and well-being at any age or lifestyle with a full range of precisely balanced products. Science Diet has 100% of what pets need, 0% of what they don't. Science Diet has the finest natural ingredients your pet will love and no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives to help ensure that your pet lives a happy, healthy life.
We do not make Science Diet products that serve as substitutions for Prescription Diet products.
What's the shelf life of the Hill's® food my pet eats? How can I store the food?
Check out the shelf life of our foods and storage tips to keep them fresh.
Where can I buy Hill's® pet foods?
Prescription Diet® brand pet foods are available at most veterinary clinics and hospitals. Prescription Diet® is also available online at veterinary clinics with online stores and authorized online retailers.
Science Diet® brand pet foods are available at most veterinary clinics and hospitals, pet specialty stores, feed stores and some pet grooming facilities.
Can I buy Hill's® pet food online?
Science Diet® pet foods are available online from authorized online retailers.
Prescription Diet® pet foods are available through your veterinarian
How can I learn more about my pet's Hill's® pet food - including how it works, the ingredients, the flavors, etc.?
For all the information about Science Diet® or Prescription Diet® brand pet food you feed your pet, visit our Products section.
How many calories are in Hill's® pet foods?
Calories vary from one product to another because each is designed for specific life stages and lifestyles. The calorie content for each of our foods is included in our online product selector.
Is my pet's food available in dry, canned and treat versions?
To see all the available options for your pet's food, use our online product selector.
Are Hill's® pet foods guaranteed?
All Hill's pet foods are marked with our guarantee. If you are not satisfied with Prescription Diet® or Science Diet® pet food products for any reason, simply return the unused portion to the place of purchase for a refund or replacement.
My pet is a finicky eater, how can I enhance the taste of my pet's food? Can I feed people food or table scraps?
Taste tests show that pets prefer Hill's® pet foods to many other leading brands, however we realize some pets can be picky eaters. To help you in this situation, we suggest following one or more of the tips below to encourage your pet to eat.
- If you are starting to feed your pet a new food, refer to the 7-Day Transition Schedule for dogs or cats. A gradual transition from the current food to a new food helps wean your pet from one food to another.
- Meal feed your pet by measuring the appropriate daily feeding amount of food and placing it in your pet's bowl. If you are feeding your pet more than one meal during the day, divide the amount into the number of feedings for the day.
- For dogs, allow 10-20 minutes for your dog to eat, then remove the remaining food and wait to feed your dog until his next meal. Remember, food tastes much better when we have an appetite!
- If you are feeding your pet dry food, try hand-feeding by holding the kibbles of food in your hand and feeding it to your pet in small portions for the first few feedings.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of warm (not hot) water to one serving of your pet's dry food. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to soften the kibbles, then serve. Moisten enough food for one meal feeding at a time so the food doesn't spoil. Do not leave moistened food out more than four hours.
- You can make pet food gravy to mix with the dry food by adding a few tablespoons of warm (not hot) water to the equivalent canned pet food. Spoon the gravy over the dry food and serve. Be sure to only make enough for one serving at a time so the food doesn't spoil.
- To help enhance the flavor of both dry and canned food, add a small amount of low-sodium chicken broth or the liquid drained from tuna canned in water. Only make enough for one serving so the food doesn't spoil. (Do not use this tip for Prescription Diet® z/d® or d/d® pet foods.)
We do not recommend feeding people food or table scraps. Veterinarians strongly believe that feeding pets table scraps or "people" food can lead to excesses or deficiencies of nutrients in your pet's nutrition which over time may lead to health problems for your pet (like obesity). Feeding table scraps or “people” food can also result in a more finicky pet.
How do I switch / transition pet foods for my cat or dog?
Pets are creatures of habit and may need some help in switching to a new food. Unless recommended otherwise by a veterinarian, gradually introduce any new food over a seven-day period. Mix the new food with your pet's former food, gradually increasing the amount until only the new food is fed.
Most pets readily accept these foods, but some are more reluctant than others to give up what is familiar to them. If your pet does not easily switch, you may want to try one of the following suggestions:
- Warming the food or adding warm water enhances the food's smell and flavor.
- Do not leave food available at all times. Consider meal feeding every three to four hours, 15-20 minutes each time.
- To help enhance the flavor of both dry and canned food, add a small amount of low-sodium chicken broth or the liquid drained from tuna canned in water when transitioning your pet from one food to another. (Do not use this tip for Prescription Diet® z/d® or d/d® pet foods.)
Can I give my dog a treat although he is eating Prescription Diet® pet food?
Prescription Diet® Canine Treats are a low-calorie, restricted mineral treat for dogs being fed Prescription Diet foods. You can provide up to 10 percent of your dog's daily energy needs by feeding Prescription Diet Canine Treats and still maintain the appropriate nutritional profile to aid in managing the underlying condition. Ask your veterinarian if Prescription Diet Canine Treats are right for your dog being fed the following Prescription Diet products:
- Prescription Diet® b/d® Canine
- Prescription Diet® c/d® Canine
- Prescription Diet® g/d® Canine
- Prescription Diet® h/d® Canine
- Prescription Diet® j/d® Canine
- Prescription Diet® k/d® Canine
- Prescription Diet® r/d® Canine
- Prescription Diet® w/d® Canine
Prescription Diet® Metabolic Treats are healthy and rewarding treats for adult dogs to support healthy weight loss and weight maintenance. These Metabolic Treats are available through veterinary clinics and online at authorized online retailers. These treats are a great complement for dogs being fed:
- Prescription Diet® Metabolic Canine
- Prescription Diet® j/d® Canine
- Prescription Diet® r/d® Canine
- Prescription Diet® w/d® Canine
Prescription Diet® Hypo-Treats® are for dogs with food sensitivities and skin conditions. These Hypo-Treats are available through veterinary clinics and online at authorized online retailers. These Hypo-Treats are compatible treats for dogs fed:
- Prescription Diet® d/d® Canine dogs
- Prescription Diet® i/d® Canine
- Prescription Diet® z/d® Canine
For dogs fed a Prescription Diet product that is not listed above, we suggest making a homemade treat using the Prescription Diet food you feed your dog and following this recipe.
Can I give my cat a treat although she is eating Prescription Diet® pet food?
Prescription Diet® Hypo-Treats® are for cats with food sensitivities and skin conditions. These Hypo-Treats are available through veterinary clinics and online at authorized online retailers. These Hypo-Treats are compatible treats for cats fed:
- Prescription Diet® d/d® Feline
- Prescription Diet® i/d® Feline
- Prescription Diet® z/d® Feline
Prescription Diet® Metabolic Treats are healthy and rewarding treats for adult cats to support healthy weight loss and weight maintenance. These Metabolic Treats are available through veterinary clinics and online at authorized online retailers. These treats are a great complement for cats being fed:
- Prescription Diet® Metabolic Feline
- Prescription Diet® m/d® Feline
- Prescription Diet® r/d® Feline
- Prescription Diet® w/d® Feline
For cats fed a Prescription Diet product
Homemade Treat Recipe Yield: approx. two dozen treats
How can I learn more about my pet's disease?
When your pet is diagnosed with a disease, it's natural to want to know more about the illness and treatments. Find out more about cat diseases and dog diseases.
How can I tell if my pet is overweight?
With more than 50% of the pet population being overweight, it's important to be aware of your pet's weight. There are several signs you can look for to determine if your pet is becoming overweight. These warning signs include:
- Can't feel ribs anymore
- Loss of discernible waist
- Pads of fat over hips and base of tail
- Waddles when walking
- Finds it difficult to move
- Short of breath
- Bad tempered
It's important to be aware of your pet's weight, as proper growth and weight can help prevent many diseases and disorders associated with obesity, as well as growth-related skeletal disease. If you do notice any of these warning signs, your veterinarian can help recommend changes to keep your pet healthy and fit.
What is Hill's commitment to animal welfare?
At Hill's, we're committed to the welfare of every animal, from those we care for to your pet. Learn more about Hill's Commitment to Animal Welfare.
Are employment opportunities with Hill's listed within your site?
Please visit our Careers section for more information about jobs available at Hill's.
How do I register?
I forgot my user ID. Can you send it to me?
Contact us with your full name and email address, and we'll send your user ID.
I forgot my password. Can I get a new one?
Give us your e-mail address, and we'll send you a new password.
My account has been locked for security. How do I unlock my account?
Due to sign-in failures, your account has been locked for your security. We'll reactivate your account and reset your password - just contact us with your user ID.
I've been through all the FAQs and still have a question for Hill's. How can I contact someone?
Contact our Consumer Affairs department with your question.
Where can I find coupons?
A large percentage of promotions and coupons are routed through retailers of our products. Please check with your veterinarian or pet food retailer periodically to see if they have rebates or other promotions available. You will also find promotions available from time to time on HillsPet.com/SpecialOffers. Additionally, we frequently highlight our special offers at www.Facebook.com/HillsPetUS.
Why can't I find a promotion on my pet's product?
While we try to offer a variety of promotions to reach as many of our consumers as possible, we do not always have promotions running or coupons available. Be sure to check periodically with your veterinarian or pet food retailer in addition to our HillsPet.com/SpecialOffers page.
How do I know my coupon is valid?
Hill's Pet Nutrition does not sell, or authorize the sale of, its manufacturer coupons through online auction sites such as eBay®, Craig'slist®, etc. Consumers purchasing Hill's manufacturer coupons from online auction websites are obtaining such coupons through unauthorized means and likely are obtaining fraudulent coupons. Only Hill's manufacturer coupons obtained directly from the HillsPet.com website or Hill's own direct mail offerings are valid for redemption.
If you have questions about Hill's® product coupons, please call Hill's Consumer Affairs Department at 1-800-445-5777.
I wasn't able to print an online coupon. How can I get it?
We're sorry for the technical difficulties! Please let us know which coupon you were unable to print so we can help by sending us an email at HillsPet.com/ContactUs or by calling 1-800-445-5777 from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. CST, Monday-Friday.
We also encourage you to review the following trouble shooting tips to prevent future printing issues from our website.
- You may not have permission to download programs on your computer or you are using software that blocks the installation. If you are trying to print coupons at work or from a computer at a library, Internet cafe, or university, you may not have permission to download and install programs onto the computer you are using. This may be true even if you've downloaded and installed other files. Contact your network administrator for more information. If you have a home computer, you may find it easier to access our coupons there. You might also be running software that prevents installation on your computer. Please make sure to turn off any anti-virus software or any anti-spyware or adware software. While we have attempted to work with most of the major publishers of such software to ensure that our Coupon Printer is not blocked, there may be programs that block the installation, or put up a warning that you are about to install a program. You should choose to allow the installation.
- The security settings in your browser are set too high. If you receive warnings or errors that an attempt to install and ActiveX control (Internet Explorer) or a plug-in was blocked, or are asked for permission to install a program, you may need to change your browser's security settings to allow installation of these types of controls. Also, make sure to click the appropriate buttons in any dialog boxes that appear to allow the installation. Modern browsers make you jump through a few hoops to install plug-ins, but it's worth it!
- Your operating system or browser is incompatible. Coupon printing is currently supported on Windows Operating Systems Vista, XP, and 2000 when used with Internet Explorer 6+, FireFox 1+, Netscape 8+, and most MSN and AOL browsers. If you are unable to print when using an MSN, AOL, or CompuServe browser, please try printing your coupon using Internet Explorer 6+. Coupon printing is currently supported on Macintosh OSX 10.3 or higher when used with Safari 2+ and FireFox 2+. Coupon printing is not supported on Linux or WebTV.
- You did not install the Coupon Printer. In order to print Digital FSI coupons, you need to download and install the Coupon Printer. It's free, safe and easy to use. It does not install any form of spyware or adware or collect any personal information about you. Once it has been downloaded and installed, a process that only takes a few seconds, you will be able to print coupons from our site and from emails you might receive.
- You don't have a default printer or your printer isn't ready. You must have a default printer selected for your computer, and it must be a real, paper-based printer, not a virtual fax machine or file printer or PDF creator. Follow the instructions that came with your computer for setting up your printer. Also make sure your printer is turned on, loaded with paper, has enough toner or ink, etc. If your printer is a multi-function device (print, fax, copy, scan), please make sure the default printer is the print function, not the fax function.
I'm a Hill's business partner and am interested in online ordering. How can I get started?
What are the advantages of online ordering?
Placing your order for Hill's® Prescription Diet® and Hill's® Science Diet® pet food and treats online gives you these benefits:
- Real-time pricing and product availability
- Instant order confirmation
- 24-hour access
- Immediate access to financial information including credit balance, credit history, unpaid invoices, past invoices and last billing statement
Where can I find out more about supplier managed inventory?